Monday, October 16, 2006

SC School for the Deaf and Blind

I am a member of Polk County Pet Pals (from the Tryon, NC area). Polk County specializes in the elderly and our group mostly goes to assisted living facilities. While I am wonderful with the older folks, I really adore children. I do the Special Olympics every year and I enjoy it so much that I thought this would be a great opportunity for me to "do my thing" with kids.

When we arrived at the School, several of the students were so excited that they were waiting outside for us. It made us all feel quite welcome!

At times there were as many as six students patting on me at once, and I was in my element. Off to the side, though, was a student who was probably about 13 years old. He was particularly noticable because he was making many gestures, which I thought at first were a way of communicating, only I did NOT know these signals! I found out, though,that they were tics or self stimming behaviors, things he could not help and which got in his way. He could barely do anything else as these behaviors just took over. He looked like he was playing a flute and he repeated this over and over.....and over....the poor kid couldn't stop. It was difficult to watch.

This student was fascinated, and terrified, of the dogs, including myself. Over and over, he would bring the aide along to give him the courage to approach us, but he was unable to bring himself to get close enough to actually touch any of the dogs. He would take the aide's hand and have the aide pat us, but when asked if he would like to pat the dog, he would pull back fearfully. Apparently this had happened before, and he had never been able to touch one of the animals.

He was particularly drawn to me, Champ, one of the biggest dogs. We could all sense that he was dying to touch me, but he just couldn't. He got closer each time, but was still so very far away.

Finally, he came very close, and seemed to relax just a little. My handler assured him that I would never dream of hurting him (since I am such a marshmellow), and I turned my head away so I would appear less threatening to him. My handler took the student's hand, careful not to force anything, and let him pat my back.

The aide was astounded. It seems like such a small gesture, but to see this profoundly deaf, fearful child's face transformed by a huge,
proud smile because he was actually touching this big, white dog (me)was, to those of us who witnessed it, a real miracle. The child returned again and again to pat me, and each time it was easier and easier for him. His aide, and the other counselors, could barely contain themselves. My handler was absolutely thrilled. I, of course, took it all in stride.

It was truly worth the visit. This is what Therapy Dogs is all about!

If you have not visited this school, you might want to go at least once. But please, make sure to TAKE A HANDLER WITH YOU!

There are so many really special students there, and many more miracles waiting to happen. We can change lives, every day. What a wonderful gift it is to have the privilege of doing this!

And what a great group of dogs and handlers were there! I am not too good at remembering names (now, scents I can remember), but I so enjoyed meeting each one of them and watching them interact with the students. I was very impressed watching the awesome Portuguese Water Dog do tricks and obedience work with the handler using only signs. I thought this was wonderful but I really can't imagine myself being quite that willing to obey. (I barely made it through the test to get my Canine Good Citizen certificate...I made my handler get down on her knees and literally beg me to come before I chose to respond.)

I also have to say that there were really some good looking dogs there. At one point I almost made a fool of myself as I really wanted to get near one of the girls! Fortunately, my handler took me outside for a few minutes so I could regain my senses.

I can't wait to go back!

Champ

No comments: