Sunday, March 25, 2007

My Brother's Keeper.....Maybe!



This is my little brother Saint ( Haha!) Nicholas! There is nothing "Saintly" about him.

He was kidnapped, so they say, from the local shelter where he was in very poor condition due to severe anemia from hookworms. He was picked up by Animal Control as a stray and brought to the shelter where they were kind enough to let us get him out before he dropped over from the anemia.

He stayed at the vets for about two weeks and then he came home to live with us. He is no longer a scrawny little 44 lbs but weighs in very close to my weight of 110 lbs. He was so skinny my Mom could barely stand to feel his hip bones.

The plan was to get him into Great Pyrenees Rescue but that idea flew out the window pretty swiftly once they realized how very sick he was.

In all honesty, he has been a little terror. It took him FOUR obdience classes before he finally passed...It only took me one! He has eaten about 12 comforters at last count but has finally been much better about this. He is still VERY terrified of men....I am not sure why he has this problem but he even used to turn and look behind him when he was walking. Talk about a case of paranoia!

He and I are are almost always buddies and when we play, we play hard....like Great Pyrenees are supposed to play.....

He truly is a joyful soul and while sometimes I do mind sharing the spotlight, I do enjoy him more often than not.

Nick has started tracking classes and while he is a little slow and distracted, he can track if it is done for his supper! He is better than I am at tracking....but he will NEVER make it as a Therapy Dog.

So like most things in life......we complement each other quite well.....

And while I don't like thinking of myself in this light often....I truly am my little brother's keeper.
My life would not be the same without him....for good and bad!

Love,

Champ

1 comment:

Deanna said...

That is very sweet! Thanks for being so good to your brother!