Friday, November 10, 2006

Some Days It is All About the FOOD!



I got dressed up a little....OK...red, white, and blue day and went to a very nice assisted living facility this week. I was a little headstrong because I was excited about seeing the folks once I got in the door. I went up to almost all the folks in the lobby that wanted to see me and pet me..but I just could not seem to get it together....

I was taken back to the Special Care area and once again....my mind was not completely on my job. Some one had a cookie ( a real cookie..not some dog bone) and I found myself drifting off and not quite being totally in the present and MY job.

Normally, I will get in close to these folks that are often in a land of their own, but I just could not bring myself to do it that day. Sometimes I can get close enough for them to pet me and I see a smile come across a face that before had very litle expression.

So, my handler, being a little OVER my independent streak, took me back out to the assisted living area...at which point I saw a lady carrying CARRY OUT FOOD!!!! I went up to her and acted like I was being a Therapy Dog....but I confess...I was waiting on her to offer me some of her food.

Everyone realized what I was up to and they thought it was funny as my nose was following the carry out containers....and not paying attention to the person....or anything else for that matter!

Then the lady started to walk off....my handler let me go and I followed the lady right down the hall...just like my handler knew I would.

Haha! They thought it was very funny. And so, do you know I did not get one bite of food out of that lady????

Next time..I will be more assertive.

Champ

No comments: